In which E. Woderose realizes she’s not as n00bish as she thought.
– Been an officer? (Local, Regional, Kingdom, Society?) Yes, Kingdom. I was briefly Garnet Herald, stepped down all the way to… being Cornelian (IOW, Garnet’s deputy). We’re morphing into Garnelians and we hope to add one to the collective.
– Do you have an SCA name? Elen Woderose at your service!
– Do you have an SCA persona? In theory, I’m a humble woad grower from York. In practice, I’m Gallifreyan.
– Changed persona because of different garb? I am contemplating registering my own Norse ancestor. 😉
– Been adopted by a person, household or clan? I’m pretty sure I can say yes now. 🙂
– Had a name and/or device accepted by the SCA College of Arms? Yes.
– Had a name and/or device rejected by the SCA College of Arms? I had a badge rejected. I withdrew another because it wasn’t quite right.
– Been taken or taken an apprentice, protege or squire? Not yet.
– Have rank higher than an Award of Arms. If so, what? Nope, and honestly, it’s not why I’m here. Which is not to say I’m going to turn up my nose at anything anyone bestows on me! But if I was never more remarkable than I am now, I’d still be happy. There’s one seriously cool thing in particular coming up that has no award attached, and I wouldn’t miss out on that for the world. To me, it’s what you do to get there. Okay, I’m sliding off the overturned soap cauldron. 😉
– Been an Event Steward/Autocrat? Yes.
– Kingdom level or local level? Local.
– Cooked an Event? I think the populace is better off if I don’t.
– Taught a class at an event? Yes. On purpose, even.
– Run an activity at an event? No.
– Ever fought at an event? Nope.
– Ever fought at Pennsic or another War? Ahaaaha, oh, you think I’m healthy enough to hit up War. 🙂
– Done a different martial art at an event? Yes.
– Ever run a martial activity at an event? It’s on my bucket list.
– Ever fought in a Crown Tourney? No.
– Won a tourney or contest at an event? Not a martial one…
– Made your own armor? Nope. Didn’t need to.
– Made your own weapons? I helped.
– Been a squire? No.
– Have rank as an archer? Yes. “Archer”. 🙂
– Have rank as a fencer? No.
– Created a siege weapon? Despite my imagination, not yet.
ARTS & SCIENCES
– Have you ever entered an A&S contest? If Bardic counts, inadvertently.
– Have you ever won an A&S contest? Again, if Bardic counts, yes.
– Ever run an A&S contest? As a result of the above, yes.
– Ever judge/critique items in an A&S contest? Again, as a result of the first two.
– Ever Wordsmithed a scroll? I’m a little too prone to canting to trust myself. 😉
– Illuminated a scroll? No.
– Calligraphy for a scroll? No.
– Made your own paper? That would be cool, but no.
– Made a book? No.
– Make someone’s order medallion? I think I actually have painted a few — our Mairghread is awesome about distributing the workload that way. We all get to feel like we helped.
– Write someone in for an award? Yes.
– Have you ever sewn your own garb? Yes. My good winter Norse garb is my work. Owing to convenient pocket size, I also inherit from people’s kids, so I’ve learned alterations.
– Sewn Garb for others? I made my mother’s first garb.
– Ever been sewing on the way to an event? Lord, no, I’d get so carsick.
– Ever finished an outfit before an event? I did. Breakup sewing: it’s a thing.
– Researched and completed an outfit from said research? Yes, actually! And got the width of my straps so wrong, but at least I have a smokkr and enough Viking bling to render me respectable.
– Ever taught a class on sewing? No.
– Finished a hat? Not for SCA purposes. Oh, my poor messed-up crochet creation.
– Do you know how to spin? Only in theory.
– Ever woven your own fabric? No.
– Do you know how to knit? Two hands, all thumbs.
– Do you know how to crochet? Yes. That only needs one stick. Two sticks no good, one stick fine.
– Have you ever dyed your own yarn or fabric? Lo these many years ago, I experimented with food coloring dyes. Didn’t work.
– Embroidered a garment? Yes, but it wasn’t garb.
– Beaded a garment? Ditto.
– Ever entertained at a feast? Silenced that room, yo.
– Ever ran a bardic circle? Nah. Everyone was bushed from the torchlight tourney.
– Ever performed in a bardic circle? Yes! Loved it. Gotta think of something if I make it out to Champs tomorrow.
– Had songs requested from you at such? Nothing in particular.
– Ever competed in a formal bardic? …like I said. Inadvertently. 😀
– Know any period songs? “Rose, Rose”. My brain does not do memorization.
– Been banned from a bardic circle for a song/performance, or have a piece you perform banned/controlled? Not even in jest.
COURT IN THE SCA
– Run a court as Royalty (King/Queen or Baron/Baroness)? Whoof, that’d be the day.
– Run a court as Herald? Yes. Memorably, managed to forget all three baronial presences’ names.
– Heralded at Court? Yes.
– Been an Attendant, Guard or Champion at court? Yes.
– Been called to court to receive an award, if so which one/s? Yes — my AoA (“What?”), induction into the Order of the Keystone (“OMG!”) and the Order of the Broche (“Seriously? Awww!”). My faces are always kinda memorable when I hear my name called.
– Been called to court to present something, if so what? My gratitude to my event staff for a job well bloody done. It was, however, inaudible at Pax last year owing to rain on a metal roof. Whoops.
– Been called to court for punishment? Nope.
– Been part of a court ’shtick’? Not yet. ^_^
– Done something while watching court, e.g., spin, sew, embroider, if so what? Schvitzed.
– Had a royal comment on what you’re doing? No, thank goodness. It’s nice not to be noticed.
– Have awards from more than one Kingdom? Æthelmearc’s the only place for me!
PENNSIC — can I just say a preliminary “No” to this section? Yeah. So I’m going to leave it blank.
– Have you ever gone to Pennsic?
– Ever done Zero Night?
– How many Pennsics have you gone to?
– Ever Taught a class at Pennsic?
– Taken a class at Pennsic?
– Gone to Opening ceremonies?
– Been a waterbearer?
– Worked a shift at Chirurgeons Point at Pennsic?
– Worked a shift as security at Pennsic?
– Volunteered in any other capacity?
– Ever merchanted at Pennsic (we’ll take shopping as a given)?
– Gone to the swimming hole Classic or family?
– ‘Trolled the Bog for parties?’
– Hosted a party at Pennsic?
– Been part of a ‘Pennsic building project’?
TRAVEL IN THE SCA This is also a blanket “nope”.
– Ever traveled more than 8 hours each way for a one day event?
– Gone to a different Kingdom for an event?
– Lived in a different Kingdom?
– Have trailer hitch and trailer, mainly because of the SCA?
THE MUNDANE OF THE SCA
– Run out of closet space because of garb/gear? [shifty eyes] Why, no! There’s that whole other closet in the spare room…
– Ever crammed more than 4 people into a hotel room? No, but I bet I know where I’d end up sleeping.
– Met your future spouse at an SCA event? Not yet!
– Met most past significant others in an SCA setting? Nope.
– Have better research books than your library? When you’re the keeper of various heraldic texts, this is a yes. That said, my library is too small to give a flying… raven… about potential SCA resources. Geirr Bassi and Solveig alone make my collection better than my library’s.
– Is your tent bigger than your first apartment? What first apartment?
– How many sewing machines do you have? One, but I can’t work the thing for love or money.
– Own an anvil? Nope.
– Added something to the YKITSCA-When lists? Not the official ones, but I’ve run into some fun situations. 🙂
GULF WAR We’re gonna go with the first question only:
– Have you ever gone to Gulf war? No. The last time I lived anywhere near it, I was six and my family wasn’t SCAdian.
– Deleted Gulf war questions (Edward deleted them, not I)
– Gone to the Known World Party? Hélas. Non.